Sunday, October 17, 2010

Visitor Experiences

         Both of the readings really got me thinking today. I really like Nina Simon's chapter on Social Objects. I think Social Objects really help to make the exhibit as well as the visitors experience. These are the objects that really make people think and the objects that will make visitors remember their trip to the museum. If the object sparks discussion among visitors then part of our work as museum professionals has been accomplished. We got the audience involved. Not all objects will be social objects but at least one good social object in an exhibit will make the whole thing just that much better.
         I also enjoyed Falk's piece about museum memories. As I was reading it I couldn't help but to think back to some of my own memories of visiting museums. I remember being in Washington D.C. in 4th grade and visiting all of the Smithsonian museums and I also remember going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for the first time when I was around 8 years old. The trip to the Rock Hall was especially memorable for me because this is when I really got into Rock music which I love now. My aunt from Arizona was in visiting which was the reason we went to the museum and she forced me to listen to AC/DC "Highway to Hell" and ever since then I have loved Rock Music. Some of my more recent museum visits are more clear to me but I do remember a great deal of museum visits from when I was younger even if it is something as silly as remembering going to Burton Village and being amazed simply because since my last name is Burton to me it meant the village was of course named after my family! There is just something about museums that people just love and there is always that one thing that makes you remember the visit, whether its a social object that really made you think or got you into conversation with a fellow visitor or if it is something as simple or childlike as the fact that the village has the same name as your family name.

No comments:

Post a Comment